Canon EOS R6 is a versatile tool to meet the photo and video requirements of a contemporary imaging workflow. This full-frame mirrorless camera revolves around a refined 20MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC X processor, which afford quick shooting up to 12 fps, apt 4K60 video recording, and wide-ranging sensitivity to ISO 102400. It also sports 5-axis in-body image stabilization to help steady shots when working in low-light conditions.
As a do-everything, highly versatile camera, the R6 also employs the sensor and processor for robust focusing performance. Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers quick, smooth, and intelligent focusing using 1053 selectable points that cover the entire field of view. This focusing system has also been updated to make use of Deep Learning technology for improved subject tracking as well as precise eye, face, and head-detection for both people and animals.
Complementing the imaging capabilities, the R6 sports a bright and detailed 0.5" 3.69m-dot electronic viewfinder, with a high 120 fps refresh rate, and a rear 3.0" 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD with a vari-angle design to accommodate vlogging needs as well as benefit working from high and low angles. Additionally, dual SD UHS-II memory card slots offer flexible storage and there is of course Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for wireless sharing and remote camera control.
20MP Full-Frame Sensor and DIGIC X Processor
Built around a revised 20MP full-frame CMOS sensor, the EOS R6 offers modest resolution to complement a more manageable workflow, especially for those working with the web and small print forms as their final output. This sensor is paired with a fine-tuned DIGIC X image processor, which enables impressive stills and video capabilities, along with sensitivity from ISO 100-102400, which can be expanded to ISO 204800, along with quick continuous shooting up to 12 fps with a mechanical shutter, or silent 20 fps with an electronic shutter, is ideal for working with moving subjects.
4K60 and Full HD 120 Video Recording
Beyond stills, the 20MP sensor also affords UHD 4K video recording at up to 60 fps, along with Full HD at 120 fps for slow-motion playback. Both formats can be recorded internally at 4:2:2 10-bit and both Canon Log and HDR-PQ are supported for greater control over color rendering, and to suit high dynamic range output. Additionally, Dual Pixel CMOS AF is supported for all recording settings and external recording, via the HDMI port, enables clean 4K output to an optional external recorded.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
An updated Dual Pixel CMOS AF II features 1053 selectable focusing points, which cover approximately 100% of the image frame for wide and even coverage. This focusing system offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
Subject tracking has also been benefitted through the use of Deep Learning technology, which helps to gradually refine the focusing system's ability to quickly and accurately recognize both people and animal subjects. This technology also supports the more refined eye, face, and head detection functions, for both people and animals, that are well-suited for portraiture applications.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilizer
A first for EOS cameras, the R6 incorporates five-axis sensor-shift image stabilization that compensates for up to an impressive eight stops of camera shake for truly effective compensation of camera shake to suit handheld shooting with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system also works in concert with lens-based optical image stabilization for both native RF lenses and adapted EF lenses.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- High-resolution 3.69m-dot 0.5" electronic viewfinder provides a bright and detailed means for eye-level viewing and the quick 120 fps refresh rate offers natural motion rendering for a more realistic viewfinder experience.
- Rear 3.0" 1.62m-dot LCD touchscreen features a vari-angle design that benefits front-facing recording, such as for vlogging needs, as well as working from high and low shooting angles.
- Dual SD UHS-II memory card slots are featured for flexible storage needs.
- Both a 3.5mm headphone and a 3.5mm external microphone port are featured for improved audio monitoring and recording capabilities.
- Refined body design incorporates four distinct control dials across the body for intuitive tactile control and a joystick controller is used on the back of the camera for fast and intuitive focus point selection and menu navigation.
- Durable, weather-sealed body design is built to handle tough working conditions and inclement weather.
- 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is available for fast file transferring to a mobile device and Bluetooth is present to provide constant device connection via the Canon Camera Connect app.
Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM is a unique telephoto prime featuring a distinct mixture of focal length and form factor. Characterized by its retractable design and a fixed f/11 aperture, this lens's sleek profile makes handheld super-tele shooting a very real possibility, and four stop-effective optical image stabilization further helps to achieve sharp imagery when working in difficult lighting conditions. Also contributing to the reduced size is a distinct optical layout, which uses gapless dual-layer diffractive optics instead of multiple heavier individual elements, which also effectively controls color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity. Complementing this design is an STM stepping motor that delivers quick and quiet autofocus performance that is suitable for both stills and video needs. Additionally, a Control Ring is also integrated into the lens design for intuitive control over exposure settings from the lens itself. If you decide you need more than 800mm, this lens is compatible with the 1.4x and 2x RF Extenders for an equivalent focal length of 1120mm or 1600mm, respectively.
- Super-telephoto prime is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless digital cameras.
- Fixed f/11 aperture contributes to the sleek and portable form factor as well as a balanced mixture of depth of field and sharpness.
- Gapless dual-layer diffractive optics contribute to a marked reduction in chromatic and spherical aberrations as well as benefit the design of a relatively compact and lightweight lens.
- Retractable/extendable design, with a locking lens barrel, offers an impressively compact form factor considering the super-telephoto design.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Compatible with optional Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x teleconverters to further increase the effective focal length.