105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens from Sigma is a short-telephoto, portrait-length prime distinguished by its bright maximum aperture and advanced optical layout. The fast f/1.4 design greatly benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over depth of field for isolating subjects and working with selective focus. As part of the Art line of lenses, this lens is also designed for high-resolution rendering, and utilizes FLD and SLD glass to control chromatic aberrations and color fringing for notable clarity. A Super Multi-Layer Coating also enhances image quality by suppressing lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity in strong lighting conditions. Additionally, a rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Complementing the imaging capabilities, the lens sports a Hyper Sonic Motor to produce quick, smooth, and quiet autofocus performance with full-time manual focus override. The physical design utilizes Thermally Stable Composite material for durability in a wide range of environments, and a brass bayonet mount also offers rigidity and mounting precision. For working atop a tripod, a removable tripod collar is also included and features an Arca-type compatible foot for wide mounting compatibility.
- As part of the Art line within Sigma's Global Vision series, this lens is designed to achieve truly notable optical performance and is ideally suited for creative and artistic applications.
- Short-telephoto prime, this 105mm f/1.4 lens is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 168mm equivalent focal length.
- Impressively bright f/1.4 maximum aperture is well-suited for working in low-light conditions and also provides greater control over the focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Three F Low Dispersion (FLD) and two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements are featured in the optical design, and help to reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color accuracy.
- One aspherical element is used to help limit distortion and spherical aberrations and also contributes to greater overall sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Large 105mm-diameter front contributes to improved peripheral illumination in order to reduce vignetting.
- A Super Multi-Layer Coating has been applied to lens elements in order to minimize lens flare and ghosting and contribute to producing contrast-rich and color-neutral imagery, even in backlit conditions.
- Nine-blade rounded diaphragm contributes to a smooth and pleasing bokeh quality.
- The integrated HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) realizes quick and quiet autofocusing, which is further complemented by an optimized AF algorithm to produce smoother focusing performance. The HSM also permits full-time manual focus control simply by rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- The lens is constructed using a Thermally Stable Composite (TSC) material, along with traditional metals, for greater precision and use in wide temperature variations.
- The bayonet mount is constructed from brass for ensured accuracy and durability. Additionally, rubber sealing is incorporated in the mount design to render it dust- and splash-resistant.
- Protective coating has been applied to the front element and is both water and oil-repellent to aid in cleaning.
- Included rotating tripod collar features an Arca-type compatible foot for seamless use atop a tripod or monopod. This collar can also be removed from the lens, and a protective cover takes its place, for more comfortable handheld use.
- Lens hood is constructed from a carbon fiber reinforced plastic to remain lightweight yet exceptionally durable.
- This lens is compatible with the optional Sigma USB Dock for fine-tuning different lens characteristics and updating its firmware.