Canon EOS R5. Setting a new standard for versatility, this full-frame mirrorless camera features a newly developed 45MP CMOS sensor, which offers 8K raw video recording, 12 fps continuous shooting with a mechanical shutter, and is the first EOS camera to feature 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization.
Beyond just resolution, the sensor also pairs with the refined DIGIC X image processor to usher in a new generation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF for quick, smooth, and intelligent focusing performance using 1053 selectable points that cover the entire field of view. This focusing system has also been updated to make use of Deep Learning technology for improved subject tracking as well as precise eye, face, and head-detection for both people and animals.
Complementing the imaging assets, the R5, while sporting a new design, also feels familiar to EOS 5-series users. An especially high-resolution 0.5″ 5.76m-dot electronic viewfinder provides a realistic 120 fps refresh rate while the 3.2″ rear touchscreen LCD monitor sports a vari-angle design to accommodate vlogging needs as well as benefit working from high and low angles. A top status LCD makes for an intuitive workflow and the camera also incorporates dual memory card slots—one CFexpress Type B, one SD UHS-II—along with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless connectivity.
45MP Full-Frame Sensor and DIGIC X Processor
Built around a newly developed 45MP full-frame CMOS sensor, the EOS R5 offers both high-resolution stills and video output and the fine-tuned DIGIC X image processor complements this with a wealth of speed. Sensitivity from ISO 100-51200, which can be expanded to ISO 102400, suits working in a variety of lighting conditions while quick continuous shooting up to 12 fps with a mechanical shutter, or silent 20 fps with an electronic shutter, is ideal for working with moving subjects.
8K30 Raw and 4K120 Video Recording
Benefitting more than just stills, the 45MP full-frame sensor also enables impressively high-resolution DCI 8K 30 fps raw video recording internally along with 4K recording up to 120 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit with Canon Log. HDR-PQ recording is possible, too, in-camera HDR production and external recording, via the HDMI port supports a clean 4K output at up to 60 fps. Both All-I and IPB compression options are available, along with the ability to use Dual Pixel CMOS AF when shooting at up to 8K raw.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
An updated Dual Pixel CMOS AF II features 1053 selectable focusing points, which cover approximately 100% of the image frame for wide and even coverage. This focusing system offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
Subject tracking has also been benefitted through the use of Deep Learning technology, which helps to gradually refine the focusing system’s ability to quickly and accurately recognize both people and animal subjects. This technology also supports the more refined eye, face, and head detection functions, for both people and animals, that are well-suited for portraiture applications.
Sensor-Shift Image Stabilizer
A first for EOS cameras, the R5 incorporates five-axis sensor-shift image stabilization that compensates for up to an impressive eight stops of camera shake for truly effective compensation of camera shake to suit handheld shooting with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system also works in concert with lens-based optical image stabilization for both native RF lenses and adapted EF lenses.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- High-resolution 5.67m-dot 0.5″ electronic viewfinder provides a bright and detailed means for eye-level viewing and the quick 120 fps refresh rate offers natural motion rendering for a more realistic viewfinder experience.
- Rear 3.2″ 2.1m-dot LCD touchscreen features a vari-angle design that benefits front-facing recording, such as for vlogging needs, as well as working from high and low shooting angles.
- Top status LCD can be used to quickly review camera and shooting settings.
- CFexpress Type B and SD UHS-II memory card slots are featured for flexible storage needs; the CFexpress slot is ideal for 8K video and high-speed, high-resolution burst shooting needs while the SD card slot retains a familiar form factor for wide compatibility.
- Both a 3.5mm headphone and a 3.5mm external microphone port are featured for improved audio monitoring and recording capabilities.
- Refined body design incorporates four distinct control dials across the body for intuitive tactile control and a joystick controller is used on the back of the camera for fast and intuitive focus point selection and menu navigation.
- Durable, weather-sealed body design is built to handle tough working conditions and inclement weather.
Both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi bands are available for fast file transferring to a mobile device and Bluetooth is also available to provide constant device connection via the Canon Camera Connect app.LensCanon RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM spans a short- to super-telephoto range within a sleek and portable form factor. The modest maximum aperture enables a relatively portable design that is well-suited to handheld, walkaround use and optical image stabilization also helps to steady photos and videos by up to five stops when working in difficult lighting conditions. This lens is also characterized by its advanced optical design, which includes a series of Super UD and UD elements to greatly reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the zoom range for a degree of clarity and color accuracy.Balancing the distinguished optical assets is the Dual Nano USM focus system, which delivers fast, nearly silent autofocus performance with full-time manual focus override. A unique Control Ring is also integrated into the lens design for intuitive control over exposure settings from the lens itself and the rotating zoom ring also feature torque adjustment for fine-tuning the feel of the lens. Additionally, this 100-500mm is weather-sealed and has a fluorine coating to protect the front and rear elements.
- Versatile telephoto zoom lens is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Six UD (Ultra-Low Dispersion) elements and one Super UD element help to minimize chromatic aberrations and color fringing in order to provide greater clarity and color accuracy.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by five stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Three distinct IS modes are available: standard single-shot mode, a panning-optimized mode, and a mode that only activates the Image Stabilizer during the exposure.
- Dual Nano USM system utilizes both a ring type USM and an STM mechanism to realize quick and accurate focusing that is also smooth and nearly silent to suit both photography and video applications. This focusing system also affords full-time manual focus control when working in the one-shot AF mode.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Protective fluorine coating has been applied to the front and rear element to resist fingerprints and smudges and to make cleaning these elements significantly easier.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens has a weather-resistant design that protects against dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.
- Rotation-type zoom ring features torque adjustment capabilities to fine-tune the handling of the lens or to prevent the lens from accidentally extending.
- Included lens hood features a side window to allow for easier adjustment of specialized rotating filters, such as polarizers, while the lens hood is attached.
- Compatible with optional Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x teleconverters, when used within the 300-500mm range of the lens, to further extend the effective focal length range.