The Nikon D850 is a high-end DSLR camera designed for professional photographers and multimedia creators. It boasts a range of advanced features, making it suitable for various photography needs. Here’s a detailed overview of its key specifications and capabilities:
Sensor and Image Processor:
- 45.7MP BSI CMOS Sensor: The D850 features a high-resolution 45.7MP sensor with a back-illuminated design for enhanced low-light performance and reduced noise. The absence of an optical low-pass filter ensures sharpness and detail in images.
- EXPEED 5 Image Processor: The powerful processor enables a 7 fps continuous shooting rate for up to 51 frames in 14-bit lossless compressed RAW. With the optional MB-D18 grip and EN-EL18a/b battery, the shooting rate can be increased to 9 fps.
- ISO Range: Native ISO range of 64-25,600 (expandable from ISO 32 to 102,400) allows for excellent low-light performance and flexibility in various lighting conditions.
- 153-Point Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus System: The camera features a sophisticated autofocus system with 153 focus points, including 99 cross-type sensors, providing accurate and fast focusing. It works down to -4 EV, ensuring reliable performance in low-light situations.
- AF Area Modes: The camera offers various AF area modes, including Single-Point AF, Dynamic-Area AF, Group-Area AF, 3D-Tracking, and Auto-Area AF, catering to different shooting scenarios.
- Auto AF Fine-Tune: This feature allows precise autofocus calibration based on live view focusing, ensuring accurate focus with every lens.
- 4K UHD Video: The D850 can record 4K UHD video at 30p/25p/24p using the full-frame sensor or in DX crop mode. It supports 4:2:2 8-bit output via HDMI.
- 8K Time-Lapse: The camera offers an 8K time-lapse recording mode, providing high-resolution time-lapse sequences.
- Focus Peaking and Zebra Stripes: These features aid manual focusing and exposure control in video recording.
- Silent Interval Timer: Allows for quiet time-lapse shooting without shutter noise.
LCD Screen and Viewfinder:
- 3.2″ Tilting Touchscreen LCD: The high-resolution touchscreen LCD offers flexible shooting angles and intuitive menu navigation and playback control.
- Optical Pentaprism Viewfinder: The bright optical viewfinder provides a clear and realistic view for precise composition and focusing.
Body Design and Connectivity:
- Weather-Sealed Body: The durable magnesium alloy body is weather-sealed to protect against dust and moisture, allowing shooting in challenging conditions.
- Dual Card Slots: The D850 features one CFexpress Type B/XQD slot and one UHS-II-compliant SD slot for versatile storage options.
- Wireless Connectivity: Built-in SnapBridge enables wireless image transfer and remote shooting using a compatible smart device. An optional WT-7a Wireless Transmitter allows for faster wireless file transfer.
- Negative Digitizer Mode: Designed for digitizing film negatives and slides using the optional AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens and ES-2 Slide Copying Adapter.
- Focus Shift Mode: Enables focus stacking by capturing a series of images at different focus points, creating images with extended depth of field.
- In-Camera 1:1 and 4:5 Shooting: Provides the ability to shoot in square format (1:1) and classic 4:5 format directly in-camera.
- Picture Control Modes: Offers predefined looks for in-camera processing, including Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, and Vivid settings.
The Nikon D850 is a versatile and powerful camera suitable for professional photographers, videographers, and creative professionals who demand high-quality performance and exceptional image and video capabilities.